Friday, December 29, 2006

Putting the OTH in my BROTH

When I first started this blog way back when (ok, two months ago), I decided to call it "Mike's BROTH", or Mike's Blog of Running and Other Things Happening. I recently realized that all of the blogs I have written have all been about Running, and not Other Things Happening. So today I have decided to put the OTH in my BROTH.

First off, if there is any blog that I would love to emulate, it would be Carrie's Tritobefunny blog. I really enjoy reading her blog not only for the running recaps (which I co-star in on occasion), but also because she truly knows how to put the OTH in her BROTH. She has published some really great insight in her blogs, and has a very eloquentl style of writing it. She has a pretty large readership level based on the amount of comments left, so I'm obviously not the only one who sees this. Now, I will say that even if she does have better writing skills than me, I do have some skills that chicks love..like nunchuck skills and bowhunting skills.

With that said, I would like to give a recap of the 2006 year. This has been an amazing year, with many ups and few downs. In January, was just getting acquainted with my newly diagnosed stress fracture resulting from overtraining after the Chicago Marathon. It was pretty depressing not being able to run, but what made everything all better was the fact that I had an amazing girlfriend (my Havalah) who supported me and helped me stay positive. We had started dating in September 2005, so we were a relatively "new" couple. However, after a wonderful trip to Vegas in December, we both new that we had found our soul mates.

I decided in early January that Hava was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. We had only been dating for 4 months, but this was a situation where you have two mature adults who found the right person and were in the right time of their lives to make this kind of decision without it being forced or too quick. We were meant for each other..and that is just plain fact.
I asked Hava to marry me in late January (she said yes, of course), and on the same exact day we signed a contract to have a house built in Southwest Austin. It was really exciting for us! After doing a lot of great research, Hava found a great place for us to have our wedding and we set a date for September 10th, which happened to be the day before the 1 year anniversary of our first date! Needless to say, both sets of family were ecstatic. Both Hava and I had been engaged in the past to non-Jew's, so the fact that we ended up marrying Jewish was a God-send for our parents.

Over the next 7 months, we sold my house (one of the "downs" of the year, but I won't go into that), I moved in with Hava temporarily, and finally we moved into our new house in early August! And then we had our wedding on September 10th. The wedding was a wonderful experience and we felt so lucky to have our close friends and family join us for it. We then took 2 weeks off, the second of which we spent in Costa Rica, which was a great adventure.

Life has been great since then, and I was even able to get a 5-minute PR in Dallas after such a busy year (sorry, I couldn't help talking a little about running!).

No insight in this blog, but a "brief" recap of the great year that I have had. :-)

No comments: