Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Recap for the past 7 days -- and a PR for Mikey!

Thanksgiving was great, and what made it even better was that I am tapering now. Tapering during the Thanksgiving holidays is much better than being in the middle of training!

I'm feeling ok this week, I am having some allergy issues, but I am hoping they will go away with the impending cold front. I am planning on a very restful taper week next week. I am going to focus on getting lots of sleep and eating the right kinds of things. I should probably have this kind of focus all of the time, but you only live once, right?

A recap of my running since my last blog:

Wednesday, November 22nd: I met up with Thon, Amy, Carrie, and a few other people to run the Austin Turkey Trot course. Carrie was the race director (which, by the way, was a resounding success), so she wanted to preview the course. Total miles: 7.3

Thursday, November 23rd: I PR'd in the Ft. Worth Turkey Trot 5k!! My time was 20:40, which averaged around a 6:39/mile pace. I ALMOST placed in the top 3 in my age group. I was number 4, about 30 seconds off from number 3. I couldn't have run it any faster though, so I won't beat myself up. I beat my old PR by 1 minute and 50 seconds, not too shabby! I also ran the 10k run with Hava right after my 5k. I was really proud of her, this was the most mileage she has ever done in a race! It was a tough and pretty hilly course, but she was able to finish strong (with a little "dig deep" prodding from me!). Total miles: 9.3

Saturday, November 25th: I ran on the Mineral Wells Trailway, which is a "rails to trails" trailway..i.e. the trail used to be train tracks. It is a neat ~20 mile trail point-to-point from Weatherford to Mineral wells. It is pretty scenic and has mile markers. I woke up pretty late and the weather was pretty humid, so I ended up only doing 5 miles out and 5 miles back for a total of 10 miles. On a positive note, I was able to negative splits. Total miles: 10

Tuesday, November 28th: Ran 3.2 miles in my neigborhood. It did NOT feel easy, even though that was the intent. I blame the weather and my allergies. Total miles: 3.2

Wednesday, November 29th: I joined the Gazelles for a 7-mile fartlek run. We warmed up for 2 miles and then did 4 miles of 1-minute fast, 1-minute recovery. It was tough for me, once again I blame it on the weather and allergies. I still think it was a successful run overall, I was able to do sub-7's during the 1-minute fast intervals. Ran in my new Fila Sanctuary III's, they felt just as good as my Sanctuary II's. They better, because they are my Dallas Marathon shoes! Total miles: 7 miles

Tonight a big cold front comes in, so I'm hoping my mental any physical funk will be swept away along with the warmth and humidity!

1 comment:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Amen brother! Let's rest up and have a great Marathon!!!